Monday, May 4, 2015

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting


I can't even begin to describe how good this strawberry buttercream frosting tastes! I only recently learned how to make it and I've read several different recipes online. The consistency of the frosting was a bit hard to master. I have no idea how others got their frosting to look so pretty and not be watery from the pureed strawberries. So I tweaked the recipe to my own version, without jeopardizing the taste a bit!

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted softened butter (not melted!)
1 stick salted softened butter
4 cups powdered/confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
3/8 cup of strawberries (pureed)
Pinch of salt




To begin with cream your sticks of butter. They should have the consistency of ice cream. Do not melt your butter in the microwave. I set mine out on the counter for about 15 minutes before beginning. If you melt your butter, it completely changes the consistency of your frosting.

Next add your confectioners sugar. I add 1 cup at a time and mix on the lowest speed so sugar doesn't fly all over the room. You can bump up the speed once it's completely mixed in with the butter. Once the sugar is well combined, add a pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix well.


Now the yummy part! Take your freshly rinsed and dried strawberries and cut off all the stems. I'd say about 2 handfuls of strawberries is all you need. I do not have a food processor to puree so I used a mini chopper. It pureed it well enough for me. 

Take your pureed strawberries and strain as much water/liquid out as you can. 


Mix your pureed strawberries into your frosting. Beat on low for a couple minutes. 


I use a Wilton's jumbo tip to pipe the frosting onto my cupcakes. My cupcakes are cheaters cakes. I use Duncan Hines Strawberry box cake ;) We can't ALL be Martha Stewart :)

I entered my strawberry cupcakes into a Bake Off at work and what do you know? I won 1st place! 



2 comments :

  1. I have a sweet tooth - and you show me pictures! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This frosting was a HUGE hit. My husband keeps dropping hints for more! You won't be sorry. It's not too sweet. Just right.

    ReplyDelete