Wednesday, April 8, 2015

How to Make Your Own Chalk Paint

Well most of us know there is a craze about chalk paint. I really wanted to try this out as well. For those that don't know, chalk paint is very different from "chalkboard paint". Do not confuse the two. Chalk paint is supposed to be very versatile, no priming or sanding is required and can be used on almost any surface. It has a nice velvety matte finish that you can add a soft wax to for protection and durability. The original Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is quite expensive and I'm sure it's worth it. I've personally never tried it since it costs over $30 for just a quart. So, like many other budget friendly folks, I decided to make my own!

There are many tutorials on Pinterest or Google for how to make your own chalk paint. Some recipes differ. I chose to make mine as described on the Lowes website. 

What you'll need:



1) Measuring cup
2) 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris
3) 1/3 cup water (some say warm, some say cool) I used cool
4) 1 cup latex paint
5) Stir stick or something cool like a plastic knife leftover from a Frozen party :)

I read many tutorials on how to make chalk paint. Most seemed to use Plaster of Paris, which I already had so I went that route. The sample paint at Lowes is exactly a cup so perfect for small projects like this!

Mix 1/3 cup of Plaster of Paris and 1/3 cup of water. Stir until smooth. Mix in 1 cup of latex paint and stir thoroughly.


Chalk paint is not reuseable and you cannot store it, so be sure you have the time to apply 2 coats plus dry time. You'll need to use this all in one setting. My chalk paint was a tad bit gritty and from what I've read that's pretty normal with homemade chalk paint. 

I applied my first coat of paint. I was glad to see it adhere nicely, even though I never sanded my piece. 



I waited for it to dry and then applied my second coat of chalk paint.


Very nice coverage. When my second coat was completely dry I used 400 grit sandpaper on the nightstand and drawer to make sure I had a very smooth finish. This step didn't take long at all and I was very happy with the results.


You can stop here and apply your clear wax if you want. I wanted this particular piece to look distressed and aged. I will be posting a complete tutorial on how I completed this piece pretty soon....

I am very happy with my homemade chalk paint results and will be using this method in the future with other pieces.


No comments :

Post a Comment